The challenge for healthcare
Healthcare is developing and changing at a pace not seen in recent times, with greater advances in understanding and treatment there is a parallel increase in the use of technology and in the level of information stored and shared.
Healthcare data is highly sensitive information and the healthcare sector faces a tough challenge in managing and protecting patient information. Both government and privately funded healthcare businesses store large quantities of medical data which are typically shared between multiple providers and it is this that creates a tempting opportunity for data thieves.
Indeed, the latest HIPAA healthcare data breach report shows that April 2019 was the worst month ever for healthcare breeches, 67% higher than the average number of monthly breaches over the past 6 years.
While the advances in clinical treatments have rapidly developed the IT systems and operational processes surrounding healthcare data have typically lagged behind. Many organisations in the sector are using outdated software and have a low awareness of the cyber security challenge. Combine this with an increasing number of users on these systems and a growing use of devices, especially mobile devices to access data and the vulnerabilities increase.
The use of cloud platforms in healthcare is also growing, with InformationWeek reporting that as much as 80% of healthcare data is predicted to “pass through the cloud at some point in its lifetime” by 2020.
There is a parallel challenge which is the consumption of this healthcare data. While there is much information now stored digitally it can be difficult for both the patient and different healthcare organisations to gain access to the information they need in a timely manner to support their treatment. If you are able to obtain the data you need this can represent an additional security concern as you, as the recipient, then need to ensure that data is stored securely.
With its multiple components built into the single platform, Cubeitz unified data management solution (UDMS) can help healthcare organisation institutions to both protect the information they collect and support in the sharing and collaborative consumption of the data – protecting information as it is shared with partners and patients.
Using the full power of Cubeitz, every patient could have their own “cube” in which they hold all of the details about themselves. This “cube” could follow a patient through their lifetime and across institutions. It is possible for clinicians and healthcare professionals to be granted access to read or write information to this cube, and equally place information in the cube. As a patient you can control who has access to which parts of your sensitive data, but always know you have full access to everything you need.
Working seamlessly with your existing systems, Cubeitz UDMS enables security protection for sensitive data across all of your internal and cloud platforms by encrypting the data in the location it is stored and when it is shared, including sharing via email.
Ensuring compliance with regulatory legislation such as HIPAA or GDPR is a complex process but with Cubeitz UDMS we can help you to manage your risk and quickly and easily implement a solution that helps enforce compliance.
Summary of benefits
- Simple to start – installation is easy and Cubeitz identifies your existing storage locations to start protecting data immediately
- Easy to use – as you simply drag and drop files and they will be stored, protected and can be shared in seconds
- Store anywhere – Bring control and security to all your cloud storage providers, Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, Office 365, all of which are automatically detected
- Share easily – create shared spaces that let you separate information by patient and ensure it is securely segregated
- Collaborate – work with your clinical team, other healthcare teams and organisations with approval processes built-in for consent
- Control access – manage your clinical team and cross-institutional access to data with the flexibility to control rights down to individual files
- Integrate easily – Cubeitz has open connectivity to work seamlessly with your existing tools and systems so you don’t need to replace anything you use